Sunday, August 19, 2012

Historic & Famous Sites We Visited



While driving through Nevada & Wyoming was "super" exciting. Just can't  get enough of counting dead dear on the side of the road. The amazing stuff in the middle of nowhere was just that. AMAZING!


We spent a bit of time at Martin's Cove. 
Pulled hand carts, totally not easy. 




They made prairie rings out of nails, watched a video about 
the Martin handcart company, saw some really old stuff 
ie. guns, clothes, chests, maps, luggage, etc. 
It was fun. 



Jared & I were forced to pull the kids around for a bit in a small covered wagon. 
I was feeling bad for horses at that moment. 



 Drove a little extra for "Devil's Rock." We decided to not go all the way up, just a stop on the side of the road. 


It's pretty cool for the inside of a volcano. At least we can say we've been there.....


Then it was on to Mt. Rushmore. It was smaller than we thought it would be. But pretty cool. 




I don't think I'll ever have a family picture with everyone looking at the camera. I won't even mention actually smiling at it. 


 They have a flag for each state. Here's to Cali! We also met the last dude alive that worked on the mountain. There was more stuff to do around the site than at it. A tourist could stay 2-3 days with stuff to do there. I'm such a sucker. Next time I want to stop at all these places. Shops, a HUGE slide park, a zoo, candy, you name it, something is there for everyone. To take your money that is.  


 Then to what most excited me. (Not anyone else)

 I love love love the Little House on The Prairie books! Not the lame show. But the books. I love reading everything out there about Laura. I think she is a great storyteller & explains the life of a pioneer so vividly. She does it so well I end up wanting to make my own butter, make a quilt by hand (yeah right), make my own bullets, & go camping. 

Kirsti was kind enough to take us there while in SD. Below are the kids on the tower over looking the homestead. 

 There were lots of fun things for the kids to do. 

A round about.


A teeter totter. 


A box of tiny rocks. What more could a kid ask for?



 For some reason, the kids loved this covered wagon a lot. They had me take picture after picture of them in it. 


Elles jacking Oliver's spot in the stroller. 

  
A pump & well. Super exciting to them!


Go Kirsti-wa! Push all those kids. 


The famous corner shelf with brown paper trim. I'm not sure if it's the original. Most likely not. 


And the hit of the day......LAUNDRY!! Everyone wanted to stay the longest at this spot. 
Apparently hand washing is a great activity. 
They fought over who got to do the soap, who got to ring it out, then went to pin  it on the clothes line. 
They were adorable. 
As for me, I looked at the equipment & thanked all technology 
that I have working machines to do these things for me. 
I do use my clothes line out back, but no matter how great Laura described boiling water, making soap, scrubbing clothes  & waiting for them to dry, I don't envy those parts of the books. 


 The lasso spot. 


With all the excitement, my girls found the golf cart to play on. Charly even started it up. 
I blamed the idiot that left their keys in the cart. 


 What made the trip worth the fees we had to pay were the unlimited pony rides. 
I'm the mom who begs her hubby to pay $10 per kid for a pony ride at the fair. 
I think it's so cool. 
Here, they all got several rides each. They loved it!



 Dressed up at the school house. 





Grant making rope. 


 It was so much looking at the place where a chunk of Laura's childhood lived out. Next time when I go back to SD, I'll travel the couple hours to the museum with more "real" Laura stuff. Till then, I'll re read all the books. 

Where's Jared you ask? He gladly waited in the car for more than 4 hours. He listened to a book & got some alone time. 


On the way back home we stopped at Independence Rock. Someday I'd like to climb it. But for now, sitting at the bottom for a family pic is enough. 



It was a lot of fun visiting these places. 
To see some of the country & it's history. 



No comments: