Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A different kind of midnight feeding

I planted a strawberry plant last year.
We didn't get anything b/c we had a raccoon that beat us to every berry,
then the birds would get what was left.
It was more than frustrating.
This year, the plant's feeders really grew
giving us a large plant to work with.
Then come the slugs.
They were ruining everything, but I was
determined to get some good straw berries this time.
-Beer-
I had to have my Mom buy it for me, but I put it out at dusk,
& check the cups every 30 minutes or so.
The first night I killed over 60 slugs.
It was super gross.
I do it almost every night, checking the cups well into the night.
I was wondering how much was worth it.
Although some look like this:

We get a good 7-10 good strawberries every day.
They rarely make it into the house. We rinse them off with the hose & chow down.

So long slugs. Now stop coming into my yard.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks completely worth it!! YUM!

Rochelle said...

Wow! I didn't know you could kill slugs with beer. I'm trying strawberries this year so I'll keep that in mind! Mine are SUPER small though.

Rebekah said...

cool. I have heard though that it is better to wipe off strawberries rather than rinse them as it preserves the flavor better. Looks Yummy!

Francais Frit said...

After 2 weeks I am STILL getting 30-50 slugs a night in my bowls. That doesn't count all the slugs I flick over the fence with a plastic spoon. They are starting to wear my down.

Nicole said...

wait a minute...slugs like beer? Do they get into the cups and drink themselves silly?

Lisa said...

The hulk plate is awesome!